Bone Marrow Stem Cell Procedure Guidelines
The following information is designed to make your bone marrow stem cell transplant as simple and anxiety-free as possible. Please familiarize yourself with this form and follow the guidelines carefully.
- Do not eat any food for at least 6 hours before your scheduled procedure.
- Do not drink any fluids for at least 2 hours before your scheduled procedure. It is, however, important to hydrate yourself as much as possible before that 2 hour window as an IV will be started and used to infuse your bone marrow stem cells back to you and veins need fluid volume in order to hold an IV catheter without difficulty.
- You may take all approved prescription medications on the morning of the procedure, but do so at least 2 hours beforehand.
- Do not take diuretics (i.e. Lasix) or anticoagulants (i.e. Coumadin) before your procedure. You may take them as soon as the procedure is complete.
- Diabetics do not routinely take their insulin on the morning of the procedure since they are not eating, but may resume their normal insulin taking schedule once they are able to eat after the procedure.
- Do not take any vitamins, supplements, or digestive enzymes on the morning of the procedure or for three weeks after (unless approved by the doctor).
- Wear comfortable clothing that will be easy to get in and out of and wear or bring socks to keep your feet warm during the procedure.
- You will be encouraged to void immediately prior to the procedure as you may by lying on the table for an hour or more.
- If you have any dental devices or removable teeth in your mouth, be sure to remove them prior to the procedure for safety reasons.
- Please inform the doctor and the nurse prior to the procedure of any allergies you may have, particularly to the local “caine” anesthetics (i.e. lidocaine, xylocaine, etc.), iodine, or latex. Also, Valium, Demerol or Morphine as these are substances we often use for those patients (about 50%) who need more than the local anesthetic to help them through the procedure.
- Please come with someone who can drive you back home after the procedure as you may not feel up to driving yourself, especially if you were given any of the pain relievers mentioned above.
- A copy of the stem cell diet protocol will be given to you and someone will go over the diet and be available to answer any questions you may have, however you will find that diet on our website www.stemcellmd.org that you may download and study so you’ll be prepared for the next 6-8 weeks after your procedure. This diet is not for weight loss, but rather to give your newly infused stem cells the best opportunity to stay alive and active for as long as possible in order to be of the greatest benefit to you.
- Finally, you will want to schedule follow up appointments to discuss your progress with the doctor, as well as any concerns or questions you may have.
Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your journey toward better health!
Tel:(949) 367-8870 ~ Fax:(949) 367-9779 ~ Toll Free: 1-800-900-1063
26381 Crown Valley Parkway, Suite 130 ~ Mission Viejo, California 92691 ~ WWW.STEMCELLMD.ORG